
Awesome much! The only thing is that the journalist made me seem like a fish myself: swim around aimlessly, smell random bait, get hooked.
But you all know my story; I've loved this job for ages. I'll return to Marx to explain why.
Karl Marx called mirthless the modern day worker. First, he is estranged from the earth he lives on, entrapped in his cold Raffles Place cubicle from the rain and the wind outside. The modern worker is alienated from his fellow man -- remember not understanding your president's vision or lacking personal connection with the worker beside you? The modern worker's work gets appropriated; superiors claim credit for your project or waste your day of research in the blackhole of bureaucracy. Last and worst, he is separated from even his own spirit. He cannot do what he desires, his vision is subjugated by the tyranny of the minority. Think a bastardised advertising campaign or a painfully-slashed news article.
We shudder at the Nazi declaration Arbeit macht frei -- "work sets you free." But for so many of us, work is indeed such -- endless labour and self-sacrifice as a means to the monthly pay packet.
But everyday, I get to smell mother nature's good air. I savour her rain and sun, her good wood, soil and plants.
When building an aquarium, I enjoy physical and artistic affinity with my boss and workers. Like inhabitants of the archtypical gemeinschaft village-of-old, we share the same financial and artistic vision.
After the work is done, the aquarium resides in the customer's house -- but it's my product, my tangible creation. I can touch what I have created, rather than see it evaporate into the non-tangibility of tuition work or a PR campaign.
And thankfully, we design and lay out aquariums the way we want. Like crop-growers of old, I take pride in owning my produce -- a statement of my artistic creativity.
Haha and okay I don't meet many babes, but I believe this is the job that sets me free, bona fide.


No comments:
Post a Comment