Friday, September 26, 2008

6/6 One shot one kill

I've always been averse to dumping CVs in corporate pigeonholes. Doing so seemed to me akin to standing on the marketplace table and banging my wok to advertise my wares. I am a person driven by ideals; call me naive, but I have always hoped prospective employers would come to me, knocking on my email-door.

Unfortunately, only the top-graders get these esteemed invites, but -- like Charlie Wilson -- I have a passion for the underdog: I've long hoped that prospective employers would look beyond academic excellence and proposition also the firebrands/workhorses/smooth-talkers/___(insert personal strength here).

I enjoyed this eclectic appreciation with MAD (Mike didn't take a single look at my CV when he hired me), but with Wall Street's Humpty Dumpties all falling down, investors shunned our investment invitations. At an appropriately dingy coffeeshop we parted ways -- "Do what you need to do as if I didn't exist" can break the heart, but it also liberated me to rejoin the media world, and xxx has accepted me as a S@les j0urmalist! Sales and journalism -- Odd bedfellows? In the old school, yes.

But these are heady times and I venture again into the unknown, starting Monday!

No comments: