Monday, June 22, 2009

"the search is over"

Only last year, I was an irreverent graduand, dozing off in my seat then waking up to expose an empty graduating certificate holder at convocation. Yet a whole era has transpired hence. Just as my peers are settling into their maiden job, I am about to start my third.

In the government service. (Yes, this is still the blog of clarence chua).

Settling on a suitable career for a decidedly unsuitable person like myself has seen me look far and wide, and then some. Trawling the sizzling summer streets of Manhattan was the easy part; having investments fall through, being let go from a dream job and then have the subsequent employer face insolvency was heart--and money--wrenching, to say the least. Dream projects both, a bit of my idealism died with them.

So, saying "the search is over" sounds decidedly premature, but I finally feel this might be the one. The overarching stumbling agent -- financial security -- is finally assured. I get to work outdoors. And the soul of the work, essential as water is to fish, is still alive.

Given I have yet to even start, a spot of reverse engineering seems chronologically illogical, but I look back thankfully at the attempts that didn't take off: VMG would have trapped me in sales; SIA managers are suffering pay cuts; STB's scholars would have left me in the dust; journalism too proactive-oriented for me to compete. Only MAD Tanks has given me some good -- even if the first venture failed, the second instalment has made very happy my business proficiency, confidence and bank account.

So hopefully I can carry it into my new career. Soon, jubilantly, I will be with NParks, as a Parks Manager! The search is over, I hope!

No comments: