Monday, April 7, 2008

An exercise in mediocrity or democracy?

An advertisement plays on the big screen before Teeth, Vagina Dentata screens. Ronaldinho curves a ball around a wall and it slots sweetly in between the posts. Buy Nike!, or adidas!, whatever.


Now everybody knows the buck-toothed one is out of favour at his football club, Barcelona FC. It's a cheap piece of pop information that would appear only in conversations that revolve around the weather or complaints about the government. But behind me, a faceless man whispers to his faceless girlfriend "Eh, you know I heard he is not so popular now." His half-interested girlfriend goes "oh... is it...", and their conversation ends.


Crowded movie theatres throw me off completely. I don't feel comfortable in them. I don't like the idea of people eavesdropping on whatever I say under the cover of darkness. No matter what I -- or anyone for that matter -- says, it is bound to be judged, just as I judged faceless' mediocrity.

I could say something mundane like he did, and some intelligent in front of me will cringe. I could say something profound or nerdy, and some bloke in front of me will think I'm trying too hard and spoiling the movie. I could make a joke and feel special that my friends appreciate it, but I know anyone else could and would make the same joke -- and I shudder at the thought. For anyone who says anything audible, it's lose-lose, basically.

Zhengs profound response surprised me. His theory: the conversations in a movie theatre are an exercise in democracy. People should feel free to make any comment they want, and they are given due consideration by those around them. They are liable to be judged, frowned at, thrown out, or accepted or admired. The theatre is his microcosm of a democratic state, the marketplace of ideas. Zhengs is too smart.

And I am just over-conscious, too sensitive to what others might think about me? Let's just say I am over-circumspect; I guard my individuality very closely, and I do know how to relax, but just not when there's a drink-slurping darkness-hidden ugly eavesdropping Chinese male lounging sloppily just 30 cm from me.

No comments: