"If you can't see yourself doing what your boss is now doing," someone wise once told me, "you should quit as soon as you can."
It had always struck me as an idealistic sword to brandish, but given the situation that developed around me, the aphorism sharpened so menacingly I could not ignore its warning: persist in a job less-than-ideal long enough and your career will probably end up as such. And I did not want to spend the rest of my days being fantastically fastidious and smelling (like) soil.
So another career change beckoned, but had it come too soon?-- Only six months ago I rejoined the organization. Before me and the transfer i so desired stood several gateways: multiple levels of bosses, new employers, my skinny portfolio.
But here I am, against the odds, working in our highest profile-highest budget project. The world's media is queuing up to cover this "epitome of our society's cultural attainment", as our CEO put it. The cooled glasshouses, supertrees, et al open in a year's time-- what perfect motivations to finally buckle down in something illustrious, steady and fun.
I can see myself doing this for many years. I've said that before, but after so many false starts at so many false startups, I think this is as much a a happy prediction as a matter of necessity.
Waking at 630 everyday to beat the jam to marina bay is a bitch, but what is a little lack of sleep when the waking hours are wondrous?


No comments:
Post a Comment