Friday, February 1, 2008

The Church of What's Happening Now

I stayed over at Dong's hostel room the night before last and it was nostalgic to shower in a smelly toilet, walk around in the cold cold night, and feel young again. It was scary even, that this life defined my first two years in university, but it is all coming to an end.

But it did not match the spook factor of my triple-nightmare that night. I hardly ever nightmare, and from one night in hall, I have three?!

The first two were scary enough. One was about a Muslim ghost, and another a Chinese ghost wanting to surreptitiously enter the room. One of its eyes was all white, the other all black. I remember shouting "What are you trying to do, this is the room of the lord" (even though I am agnostic) and he crawled away.

But what still stands my hair on end is the one where I found myself in a church in Africa. It was a high-ceiling church, and there was a rucus of activity -- bad-blood activity. From the ceiling hung a body, and there were at least 8 dark-skinned Africans stabbing ferociously into its chest. All around, the scene was tumultuous; a beehive of violence. Sickened and fearing for my life, I stumbled through the corridor, lump in throat, in desperate search for an exit. Streaming past me, heading into the church, were hordes of whooping Africans waving the scariest knives, intent on finishing off whatever it was they were looking for.

I woke up with start, saw Dong up on his bed, and literally breathed a sigh of relief. I thought, 'ah, what the hell was that!' and returned gratefully to my peaceful life.


Until I saw this: Can Kenya Avert a Bloodbath?

No comments: